MANIFESTO TO BE DELIVERED BY SAEED ZAKARIYYA, CANDIDATE FOR THE GNUTS AMBASSADOR PORTFOLIO OF TAKORADI TWCHNICAL UNIVERSITY – SRC.
Mr. Chairman, The Vice Chancellor, The Pro Vice Chancellor, The Registrar, The Director of Finance, Deans and Heads of Department, Heads and Directors of Centres, SRC Executives, Fellow Candidates, all protocols duly observed.
I am Saeed Zakariyya, a candidate for the Ghana National Union of Technical Students (GNUTS) Local Ambassador for in the upcoming SRC General election.
To clear on cons and preserve the pros, I have entitled my manifesto as the “THE BIGGER PROJECT FROM THE ORGANICS”. This particular subject is inspired by the idea of self-governance using and relying on existing systems and structures and refining the students’ populace to agree to the principle of self-motivation and capabilities.
Mr. Chairman, serving on several boards of the SRC has exposed me to diverse students’ challenges and thus felt the need to take further responsibilities in the light of addressing such menace and prevent future recurrence of such challenges. I have carefully crafted these plan of action to help curb student’s challenges and are therefore bulleted and enunciated as below:
Mr. Chairman, as a social Democrat, my programs will ensure equitable improvement for all students. My administration will build on the structure the old administration have already established and will focus on putting students first.
STUDENTS SCHOLARSHIP SUPPORT
Mr. Chairman, one of the basic challenge student face on campus has to do with access to support to pay their fees and to cater for their academic expenses. The Saeed-led GNUTS fraternity will collaborate with the SRC and other students support organizations like the GNPC Foundation, Ghana Gas, Ghana scholarship secretariat and its likes to solicit for students support to enrich the SRC scholarship scheme so that, we can increase the number of beneficiaries.
STUDENTS ENTREPRENEURSHIP SUPPORT
Mr. Chairman, the backbone of every economy depends on entrepreneurship. With entrepreneurship, individuals are able to bring out new ideas and development to help improve life. I believe most students are owners of businesses and have envisage growth, profit maximization or survival. The Saeed-led GNUTS fraternity will ensure the execution of this policy by:
- Liaising with the centre for business and entrepreneurship to educate students on how to prepare a good business plan that can attract investors.
- Liaise with the centre for languages and liberal studies, to help incubate students businesses that are viable and feasible enough. Students will be invited to present and file their business plans for assessment and after ones business is adopted, the centre with the help of the SRC will groom the business from infancy until it is matured to stand on its own and will thereon be handed to the student. Mr. Chairman, during the GNUTS Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Business (LEB) roadshow, the Deputy minister for Education stated that, the government has instituted a package to help young entrepreneurs, especially those businesses in the TVET related area. In this light, when given the mandate as the GNUTS Ambassador, after carefully assessing students businesses with the help of the centres on campus, I will advocate for support for these businesses to flourish.
I aim to shift the structure and content of our education system from merely passing examination to building character, values, confident and nurturing rising literate and engaged students who can think critically. When Im given the mandate to become the next GNUTS Local Ambassador, I will:
- Liaise with SRC to ensure effective consultation, guidance and counselling is given to students to enable them to know how to study, behave, relate with other people and how to live their life on campus that will have great impact on their life when they go to the job market or the real world after school.
- THESIS GUIDE
Mr. Chairman, writing that we do on normal days differs from writing academically. Most students complete their course of study and finds it difficult to write their project work. Any student who wants to go into academia must be able to write academically. When given the mandate as the GNUTS Local Ambassador, I will collaborate with the centre for research and innovation with support from the SRC to organize seminars to educate students on how to prepare and or write their project work.
SPORTS ENRICHMENT AND TALENTS PROMOTION
Mr. Chairman, when given the nod as the GNUTS Ambassador for TTU-SRC, I will liaise with the directorate of consular and general services together with the sports unit to organize a soccer competition dubbed “THE GNUTS CHAMPIONS LEAGUE”. This league will be contested by winners, first and second runners up of the various hall football league. This particular league will be played in the second semester of the academic year after teams have emerged champions and or have met the criteria spelt out above during the first semester. This league will give exposure to students with soccer skills and other sporting diasporas.
Mr. Chairman, my vision is to see to it that students have comfortable life on campus without any challenges pertaining to where to sleep, bath and a place to visit for their natures call. Accommodation plays a vital role in the success of students on campus. In this light, when I’m given the mandate to become the next GNUTS Local Ambassador, I will:
- Liaise with SRC, management and rent control to bring all private hostels under one umbrella to regulate them in terms of pricing and the number of students per room by setting up price ceiling based on the hostel conditions.
How to regulate hostels:
The hostels without standard room, bad washroom condition and bad environment condition will be regulated to charge less amount that will be okay with the students whiles the hostels with standard room, good washroom condition and good environment condition will be regulated to charge reasonable amount that will be okay with the students.
This policy will be implemented with the help of Management, SRC, rent control and private hostel committee.
STUDENTS LOAN TRUST FUND
I’m committed to bring the students loan trust fund to the doorsteps of the students and to revamp the effectiveness and the efficiency of the loan on Takoradi Technical University campus. When I’m given the mandate to become the next GNUTS Local Ambassador, I will:
- Focus on effective and efficient and timely disseminating of information about the students loan trust fund through students platforms and flyers.
- Ensure effective and efficient disbursement of the loan through perennial expediting.
- Defend students if there is any uncertainty about the disbursement of the loan.
The solutions I have set out in this document have been well- considered. They are response to the real Problems students face on TTU campus. I am therefore committed to ensuring the quality of service delivery at all times.
The bigger project
The time is now
God bless TTU, God bless us all.
Thank you 👍